Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Monday, July 21, 2008

Christian Courage

When the great reformer Martin Luther was travelling to the Diet of Worms where he was to be tried by the church for heresy, he was warned he would be given no safe conduct. He was considered a heretic, and, therefore, worthy of abuse and even death. As Luther neared the city, a friendly priest came out and warned him, "Do not enter Worms!" But Luther, undismayed, turned his eyes on the messenger and said, "Even should there be as many devils in Worms as tiles upon the housetops, still I would enter it." "I was undaunted," said Luther, "I feared nothing." This reminds me of Psalm 3 in which David is under such fierce persecution, yet he can say: "I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around." How could he say such a thing? Because "O Lord, you are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head" (v. 3).

No comments: