Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wandering Thoughts

Do you have wandering thoughts during the singing of hymns at worship? If you are like me, I often sing hymns without paying much attention to the words that are on the page. I suppose I have the attitude of looking so forward to the sermon, which is the central focus of the service, that I want to get the preliminaries over with. I was recently brought under great conviction as I read an account of the life of the great hymnist Fanny Crosby. She was converted when she was 30 years old by listening to the words of an Isaac Watts hymn "Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed". The following words were particularly striking to her:

Was it for crimes that I had done he groaned upon the tree!
Amazing pity! Grace unknown! And love beyond degree!

God can use any part of the worship service to change hearts of unbelievers and to edify his people. As pastors, may we choose hymns well and ones that are biblical. And may God focus our hearts and minds upon them as we sing them in worship.

No comments: