Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Money

No blogs have appeared the last week or so. I have been in London; preaching and giving a paper at a creation/science conference at the John Owen Centre of London Theological Seminary. The title of my paper, "The Exegesis of Genesis 1 and 2: A Question of Genre." As I was in London, the financial sectors of the US seemed to melt before my eyes, and I had to check myself regarding how dependent I often am on finances. I need, as a Christian, to loosen my grip on such things. It reminded me of a letter that George Muller sent to a donor who wanted to give a gift to Muller himself rather than to the orphanages that Muller ran. Muller's response is telling:

"I have no property whatever, nor has my dear wife; nor have I had one single shilling regular salary as Minister of the Gospel for the last twenty-six years, nor as the director of the Orphan-House and the other objects of the Scriptural Knowledge Institution for Home and Abroad. When I am in need of anything, I fall on my knees and ask God that He would be pleased to give me what I need; and He puts it in the heart of someone or other to help me. Thus all my wants have been amply supplied during the last twenty-six years, and I can say, to the praise of God, I have lacked nothing. My dear wife and my only child, a daughter twenty-four years old, are of the same mind. Of this blessed way of living none of us is tired, but we become day by day more convinced of its blessedness."

The potential donor responded by sending 300 pounds to Muller for support of the orphanages.

No comments: