Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Monday, December 22, 2008

The Horse Stealer

In 1770, George Whitefield was on a preaching tour of New York when an extraordinary event took place. He describes it himself:

"A very peculiar providence led me lately to a place where a horse stealer was executed. Thousands attended. The poor criminal had sent me several letters, hearing I was in the country. The sheriff allowed him to come and hear a sermon under an adjacent tree. Solemn, solemn! After being by himself about an hour, I walked half a mile with him to the gallows. His heart had been softened before my first visit. He seemed full of solid, divine consolation. An instructive walk! I went up with him into the cart. He gave a short exhortation. I then stood upon the coffin -- added, I trust, a word in season -- prayed, gave the blessing, and took my leave. Effectual good, I hope, was done to the hearers and spectators. Grace! Grace!"

No comments: