Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Monday, January 26, 2009

Abigail Townsend

Abigail Townsend was the daughter of a man who was great friends with George Muller, the Christian preacher who started numerous orphanages in England in the 19th century. She knew Muller quite well, and there is a short biographical sketch about her titled The Adventures of Sister Abigail. One story from it is worth mentioning:

One morning she was playing in the garden at one of the orphanages, and Rev. Muller came, took her hand, and said, "Come and see what our Father will do." He led her into the dining room where all the children were standing in line waiting for breakfast. But there was nothing but empty dishes on the tables. Lifting his hand, Muller prayed, "Dear Father, we thank thee for what Thou are going to give us to eat." Immediately there was a knock on the door, and a baker was standing there. He said, "Mr. Muller, I couldn't sleep last night. Somehow I felt you didn't have bread for breakfast, and the Lord wanted me to send you some. So I got up at two o'clock and baked some fresh bread, and have brought it." Almost immediately they heard a second knock, and this time it was a milkman. "Mr. Muller, my milk cart has broken down outside the orphanage. I would like to give the children the cans of fresh milk so that I can empty the waggon and repair it."

I heard someone recently say that he was tired of hearing these stories about Muller because things don't happen that way. Really?

No comments: