Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Communion

This Sunday we will celebrate the Lord's Supper. John G. Paton, who was a missionary to the cannibals in the New Hebrides in the middle of the nineteenth century, tells the story of the first communion held on one of the islands. He says,

"For three years we had toiled and prayed and taught for this. At the moment when I put the bread and wine into those dark hands, once stained with the blood of cannibalism but now stretched out to receive and partake the emblems and seals of the Redeemer's love, I had a foretaste of the joy of glory that well-nigh broke my heart to pieces. I shall never taste a deeper bliss till I gaze on the glorified face of Jesus himself."

May our hearts contain that "joy of glory" when we partake of the Lamb's great supper!

No comments: