Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Monday, June 22, 2009

Christ Crucified

I was reminded today that the primary task of the preacher is to preach Christ and him crucified. Andrew Bonar once preached at St. Peter's Church in Dundee . . . Robert Murray M'Cheyne was the pastor there. His text was "Thine eyes shall see the King in His beauty." As the two of them walked home after the service, M'Cheyne turned to Bonar and said, "Brother, I enjoyed your sermon; to me it was sweet. You and I and many, I trust, in our congregations shall see the King in His beauty. But, my brother, you forgot there might be many listening to you tonight, who, unless, they are changed by the grace of God, shall never see Him in His beauty."

Bonar learned that truth . . . and he would pray in his church the following: "Lord, never let any one occupy this pulpit who does not preach Christ and Him crucified."

No comments: