Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Rev. Aikman

As an old man, Rev. Aikman, congregational minister in Edinburgh, explained the circumstances of his conversion to Christianity. He said:

"I was returning to Jamaica, where I was engaged upon one of the plantations, and wishing to take out some books for the use of the people there, amongst others I selected was Newton's Cardiphonia. Its title struck me, and I supposed it was a novel . . . Looking over the books on the voyage I took up this, and soon found it something very different from what I had thought; and that book was, in God's providence, the means of my conversion." Perhaps John Newton's greatest effect for the kingdom was his writings, that is, his books, letters, and hymns.

No comments: