Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Saturday, August 15, 2009

John Hooper

John Hooper was condemned to death because of his stance for biblical Christianity. He was told he would immediately be sent to Gloucester for his execution. At his burning, Hooper said the following to the crowd:

"Lord, I am hell, but thou art heaven; I am swill and a sink of sin, but thou are a gracious God and a merciful Redeemer. Have mercy therefore upon me, most miserable and wretched offender, after thy great mercy, and according to thine inestimable goodness. Thou are ascended into heaven, receive me, hell, to be partaker of thy joys, where thou sittest in equal glory with thy Father. For well knowest thou, Lord, wherefore I am come hither to suffer, and why the wicked do persecute this thy poor servant; not for my sins and transgressions committed against them, but because I will not allow their wicked doings, to the contaminating of thy blood, and to the denial of the knowledge of thy truth, wherewith it did please thee, by thy Holy Spirit, to instruct me; the which, with as much diligence as a poor wretch might (being thereto called), I have set forth thy glory. And well seest thou, my Lord and God, what terrible pains and cruel torments be prepared for thy creature: such, Lord, as without thy strength none is able to bear, or patiently to pass. But all things that are impossible to man are possible with thee: therefore strengthen me of thy goodness, that in the fire I break not the rules of patience; or else assuage the terror of the pains, as shall seem most to they glory."

No comments: