Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Monday, January 4, 2010

Blanche Gamond

Blanche Gamond, a Huguenot sufferer in the 17th century, tells of her trials (from the book Stories of the Huguenots):

One day my mother was taken to the bishop, who offered her a large sum of money, saying, "Promise me that you and your family will change your religion, and this shall be yours". But my mother did not yield. Soon afterwards he sent his steward, who did his best to persuade us. "It grieves me", he said, "to see the injury that has been done to you. Believe me, the Bishop is willing to make it all up to you; and he will, moreover, grant one hundred francs to each member of your family".
I answered him; "thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. We have not been redeemed with silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, which is an infinite price. When vineyards or fields are exchanged, it is the possessor of the property which is worth least who has to give money into that bargain. Your religion must therefore be worse than ours, as you offer money to make up the value. When Christ sent out his apostles, He commanded them to take neither purse nor scrip nor sword. You go from house to house with money in your hand, and then send your soldiers to strangle us. That is not quite the way to make good Catholics".
When he found that he could not gain us over, he left us to the dragoons (soldiers), and our sufferings increased. I was considered the most obstinate of the heretics. A neighbor said one day to one of the soldiers, "Do your best to convert that girl. She is more determined in her religion than any one else in our town. If I were you, I would carry her off to church by force". I overheard this conversation, and from that time devoted myself more zealously to the reading of the Holy Scriptures and to meditation, that I might be able to answer my enemies.

No comments: