Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Newton: "I am what I am"

John Newton once preached in Reading on 1 Corinthians 15:10, "By the grace of God I am what I am." The outline of that sermon is as follows: "1. I am not what I ought to be. Ah! how imperfect and deficient. 2. Not what I might be, considering my privileges and opportunities. 3. Not what I wish to be. God, who knows my heart, knows I wish to be like him. 4. I am not what I hope to be; ere long to drop this clay tabernacle, to be like him and see him as He is. 5. Not what I once was, a child of sin, and slave of the devil. Though not all these, not what I ought to be, not what I might be, not what I wish or hope to be, and not what I once was, I think I can truly say with the apostle, 'By the grace of God I am what I am.'"

No comments: