Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Monday, October 4, 2010

Newton to Cowper

"Pray for me that my heart may be looking to Jesus for peace, wisdom, and strength. Without him all is waste and desert. And every thought in which He has not a place or rule is treason. I trust, yea, I know He will be with you. He will cover your head in the day of battle, and give you many a song of triumph before the great day of decision, when all enemies shall be finally bruised under your feet."
John Newton to William Cowper

"My most dear and intimate friend, William Cowper, has obtained a release from all his distresses. I preached a funeral sermon for him on the 11th inst. from Eccles. ii.2,3. Why was he, who both by talents and disposition seemed qualified, if it were possible, to reform the age in which he lived, harassed by distresses and despair, so that the bush which Moses saw all in flames was a fit emblem of his case?" Newton to Mrs. Hannah More on the death of Cowper

No comments: