Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Saturday, November 20, 2010

McCheyne's Last Sermon

Robert Murray McCheyne "preached his last sermon on earth in a place outside Dundee called Broughty Ferry on a Sabbath night. He preached from the text of Isaiah 60:1 -- 'Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.' He went home to go to bed, ill of the fever from which he was not to recover. He died just days after he had preached on that text, and after his death they found a letter under his pillow. It had come from a man who was listening to him preaching that last sermon, and in part of the letter he said this:

'Dear Mr. McCheyne, I heard you preach at Broughty Ferry last Sabbath evening, and your sermon brought me to Christ. It was not anything you said, but it was what you were as you preached. For as you preached, I thought that I had never seen the beauty of holiness as I saw it in you. You were talking about the glory of our God resting on the Saviour, and I saw the Saviour's glory rest on you. That brought me to Christ.'"
(From J. Douglas MacMillan, The Lord Our Shepherd)

No comments: