Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Friday, October 24, 2008

Humility in Preaching

Richard Baxter once commented on his own preaching: "And for myself as I am ashamed of my dull and careless heart, and of my slow and unprofitable course of life; so, the Lord knows, I am ashamed of every sermon I preach; when I think what I have been speaking of, and who sent me, and that men's salvation or damnation is so much concerned in it, I am ready to tremble, lest God should judge me as a slighter of his truths and the souls of men, and lest in the best sermon I should be guilty of their blood. Methinks we should not speak a word to men in matters of such consequence, without tears, or the greatest earnestness possibly we can; were we not too much guilty of the sin which we reprove, it would be so." D. Martyn Lloyd Jones once said that he would not cross the street to hear himself preach. Oh that today we would have preachers of humility and ones who trembled as they went into the pulpit!

No comments: