Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Mr. Standfast

Many people in the church are familiar with John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progess. But, in reality, many have not read part II of the book . . . it was written later by Bunyan and it describes the pilgrimage of Christian's wife and their children. It is true that part II is not as engaging as part I, but there are indeed some powerful scenes in it. For example, when Mr. Standfast crosses the cold river of death, Bunyan provides a most profound and stunning description:

Now there was a great calm at that time in the river; wherefore Mr. Standfast, when he was about halfway in, stood a while and talked to his companions that had waited upon him thither; and he said, "This river has been a terror to many; yea the thoughts of it have often frightened me. But now, methinks, I stand easy . . . The waters indeed are to the palate bitter, and to the stomach cold, yet the thoughts of what I am going to and the conduct that waits for me on the other side, doth lie as a glowing coal at my heart. I see myself now at the end of my journey, my toilsome days are ended. I am going now to see that head that was crowned with thorns, and that face that was spit upon for me.
I have formerly lived by hearsay and faith, but now I go where I shall live by sight, and shall be with him in whose company I delight myself. I have loved to hear my Lord spoken of; and wherever I have seen the print of his shoe in the earth, there I have coveted to set my foot too . . . His voice to me has been most sweet; and his countenance I have more desired than they that have most desired the light of the sun. His word I did gather for my food, and for antidotes against my faintings . . . "
Now while he was thus in discourse, his countenance changed, his strong man bowed under him, and after he had said, "Take me, for I come unto Thee," he ceased to be seen of them.

1 comment:

Tim Ashcraft said...

I love The Pilgrim's Progress. I've found some of the best blessings from Part II to be in its contrasts to Part I. For example, in Part I Christian goes alone for much of the way; Part II emphasizes the joy of community in our pilgrimage as it depicts a company of believers traveling together. The way is still difficult and dangerous at times, but the joy of pilgrimage receives the greater emphasis.

Also, Part II explains certain events from Part I and greatly expands the teaching on God's love for and ministry to weaker believers only hinted at in the story of "Little Faith" in Part I. In both parts Bunyan gives us a well-rounded picture of the Christian journey.