Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Monday, February 9, 2009

Captive

When Martin Luther stood before the ecclesiastical rulers of his day -- they who had power to banish him or even to execute him because of his views of the Bible -- the Archbishop of Trier asked him this question: "Do you or do you not repudiate your books and the errors which they contain?"

Luther famously replied, "Since, then, Your Majesty and Your Lordships desire a simply reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason -- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other -- my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand. I can do no other. So help me God."

In this day, we need to ask the question, simply, what is it that has captured our hearts?

No comments: