Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Thursday, March 19, 2009

John Cennick

The 18th century preacher John Cennick remembers a spiritual event that had a lasting effect upon his soul, namely, the death of his mother's aunt. The woman, as she lay on her death bed, gave a wonderful testimony to salvation in Christ. She said, "Who calls me poor? I am rich in Christ! I have got Christ! I am rich! . . . This night the Lord stood by me and invited me to drink at the fountain of life freely; and I shall stand before Him, bold as a lion!"

God used this scene to affect his heart for Christ. He commented, "The words she uttered indeed pierced my soul, so that I could not rest day nor night, but was continually wishing, if I thought of sickness or death, O that I may be assured of Heaven before I die! and began to fear greatly. These were the most early convictions I can remember, nor do I know any time between whiles, till my conversion, when I did not meditate on my aunt's last words."

No comments: