Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Seeing Life at Death

J. E. Rattenbury, in Wesley's Legacy to the World (1928), tells the story of the death of Bishop Butler in 18th century England. Butler is remembered for his relationship with George Whitefield (both for good and bad) and for his book Analogy of Natural and Revealed Religion. It is clear that his Christianity was of the head and not the heart, at least until the end of his life.

"When he lay dying, he was in distress of soul, and said to his chaplain that, notwithstanding his efforts to live a good life, he was afraid to die. 'My lord', said his chaplain, 'You have forgotten that Jesus Christ is a Savior.' 'True', was his answer, 'but how shall I know that He is a Savior for me?' 'My lord, it is written, him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.' 'True', said the Bishop, 'I am surprised that, though I have read that Scripture a thousand times over, I never felt its virtue till this moment, and now I die happy.'"

No comments: