Subscribe To Receive Email Updates

Enter your email address:

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hubris

There is an engaging story of a Scottish minister on his death-bed. A fellow minister came to see him in order to comfort him in death. The visiting minister asked, "Well, my brother, what are you doing?" "Doing," answered the dying servant of God, "Doing? I will tell you. I am gathering together all my prayers and sermons, all my good deeds and bad deeds, and I am going to throw them all overboard together, and swim to glory on the plank of free grace!"

This preacher rightly understood that our salvation is not about us and what we do, no matter that we have been in the ministry for decades. There is no room for our works, for we earn nothing but condemnation. There is no room for human pride, for self-promotion, for self-boasting, for hubris. It is not about us; it is about the cross of Christ. That is why Paul proclaims, "For we do not preach ourselves, but the Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Cor. 4:5). Therefore, let us not boast in our own works, but let us boast in the cross of Christ and the mercy and grace that come to us through his labors.

Nothing in my hand I bring;
Simply to they cross I cling;
Naked, come to thee for dress;
Helpless, look to thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

1 comment:

Jason Button said...

This is a wonderful illustration. I love the blog. Thanks for doing this!